Diet & Nutrition
Diet and Nutrition
Diet and Nutrition are the foundations of good health. One is simply what one eats. There are many dietary choices that each person makes whether or not conscious of these choices. In our modern times it is especially easy to make unhealthy choices about diet and nutrition. This is in part because of the enormous changes that are being introduced to food and the ways that it is produced. Many of these changes have only begun to occur in the last few decades. These changes are prolific in their effect on our health and immunity.
Some Recent Changes in Our Food
- Mass Agricultural Practices
- Soil Depletion of Nutrients and Minerals
- Industrial Processing Food
- Genetic Engineering
- Contamination of Water
- Malnourishment through Nutrition-Poor Foods
This page is limited in the information it provides. Therefore it is suggested that some independent research/reading be done. The unhealthful culmination of the effects of poor food choices is a serious matter and sets in motion all sorts of ailments, allergies and diseases. Fortunately this process can be arrested and reversed. The following suggestions are only an outline of that course of action.
Building a Strong Foundation for Health
In addition to the above listed changes to our food supply there are several more personal choices that can lead to ill-health. These factors must be addressed as well as learning to avoid the compromised foods previously mentioned.
- Organic & Non Genetically Modified Food Eat organic (avoid pesticides) and limit exposure to preservatives. Avoid genetically modified foods and dairy products that contain growth hormone. This post examines organic food and it’s health benefit.
- Raw vs Cooked Diets Preparing foods above 120 degrees Farenheit kills the live enzymes and destroys amino acids, the basic building blocks of life. Here we examine the benefits of a raw diet over cooked food.
- Alkaline vs Acidic pH Change to a diet that contains more alkalizing food as disease flourishes when more acid forming foods are eaten. This post examines ways to alkalize one’s diet.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks Apple cider vinegar is probably the best (and cheapest) detoxifier for the body. Organic raw Apple Cider Vinegar can be used as a daily drink to change the body’s ph from acidic to alkaline. This post has a few recipes for your health.
- Vitamin and Mineral Supplements Much of our vitamin and mineral intake should be from raw organic foods. This is a difficult task and a healthy body may benefit from these additional supplements. Some recommended supplements.
- Sweeteners Avoid high sugar intake (including fruit), which can feed intestinal yeast. Natural sweeteners like Stevia, VeggieSweet & Xylitol can be used. Under Construction
- Seaweeds & Seaplants These plants can be ten to twenty times more nutritious than land vegetables and are a source of calcium, B complex, D, E and K vitamins as well as iodine and magnesium.
- Spices & Herbs Fresh grown or fresh bought organic herbs are irreplaceable in not only their flavor but in their inherent medicinal and nutritional value too.
- Juicing & Wheatgrass Juicing is an easy and convenient way to add nutrition to one’s diet. It is also a fun way to play with food and taste. Wheatgrass is a living food. Being highly anti-bacterial, consuming wheatgrass will help to alkalize and detoxify the lymph and blood cells.
Why Filtered Water
Unfortunately, securing your access to good-tasting, sparkling, wholesome drinking water can be harder than you might expect. Drinking water may contain chlorine, lead, high levels of harmful bacteria, sodium fluoride and other unwanted contaminants such as herbicides and pesticides. Often water supplies are tainted with pharmaceuticals eliminated by the population that make their way into the water shed. Frequently these produce unpleasant tastes and odors. Even bottled water can contain these same contaminants, and moreover it is very expensive. Two very excellent water filters in two different price ranges.
- British Berkefeld/Big Berkey Uses gravity and Sterasyl Ceramic filters containing pure silver to clean water.
- Ecoloblue Uses humidity in the air to produce unlimited pure drinking water.
- Berkey Shower Filters Removes chlorine, hydrogen sulfide, microorganisms, scale and water-soluble heavy metals from shower/bath water.
Foods that Bind and Detoxify Heavy Metals
Leafy green vegetables rich in chlorophyll, seaweed products such as spirulina, citrus pectin and coriander are all excellent dietary foods to bind and detoxify heavy metals. Don’t forget to include plenty of fiber-rich, fresh vegetables and fruit to help sweep out these toxic agents and repair damaged tissues.
Excellent Food Choices
Of course these choices should be organic and preferably raw when possible. There are certain foods that should not be consumed raw such as meats, poultry and certain legumes.
Asparagus, Avocados, Alfalfa sprouts, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Vegetable juices, Cauliflower, Celery, Collard greens, Cucumbers, Fennel, Garlic, Green beans, Green peas, Kale, Leeks, Micro-algae (chlorella, spirulina, wild blue-green), Seaweeds (irish moss, kelp, etc.), Turnip, Scallion, Saltless sauerkraut, Mushrooms (Ganoderm, Maitake, Shiitake, YunZhi), Pumpkin & seed.
Apples, Apricot, Bananas, Bitter melon, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Cherry, Cranberries, Figs, Grapefruit, Grapes, Kiwifruit, Lemon/Limes, Oranges, Papaya, Pears, Pineapple, Plums, Prunes, Raisins, Raspberries, Strawberries, Watermelon.
Cod, Halibut, Salmon, Scallops, Tuna (from non-toxic sources, small portions-10-15% of plate, 1 time per day).
Black beans, Dried peas, Garbanzo beans (chickpeas), Kidney beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Miso, Navy beans, Pinto beans.
Amaranth, Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Corn, Millet, Oats, Quinoa, Spelt, Whole wheat, Whole Brown rice.
Nuts & Seeds
Sunflower seed, Sesame seed, Flax seed, Walnut, Pecan, Almonds, Cashews, Macadamia.
Royal Jelly, Stevia, Agave Nectar, Bee pollen, Manuka Honey, Grade A Maple syrup.
Sunflower seed, Sesame oil, Ghee, Coconut oil, Olive oil.
Many suffer from deficiencies of vitamin D which is needed in every tissue in the body, including the brain, heart, muscles and immune system. All of these tissues have receptors for vitamin D, meaning that this nutrient is needed at proper levels for these tissues to function.
Natural Sunlight for Vitamin D
It is recommended for people to go outside in summer unprotected by sunscreen (except for the face, which should always be protected) wearing minimal clothing from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. two or three times a week for 5 to 10 minutes.
Vitamin D Supplements
As for vitamin D supplements healthy adults have taken 10,000 I.U. a day for six months or longer with no adverse effects. People with a serious vitamin D deficiency are often prescribed weekly doses of 50,000 units until the problem is corrected. To minimize the risk of any long-term toxicity, these experts recommend that adults take a daily supplement of 1,000 to 2,000 units.
Excellent book on Vitamin D Dr. Holick’s book The Vitamin D Solution