Juicing & Wheatgrass
Juicing is an easy and convenient way to add nutrition to one’s diet. It is also a fun way to play with food and taste. The nutrition available through juicing comes down to the quality of food juiced. Remember to select organic and non-Genetically Modified fruits and vegetables and try to buy items that are in season.
Some Words about Juicers
Some would say that all juicers are more or less equal. This is simply not true. Many take the route of buying an inexpensive juicer or the most expensive model available. Important features that one should consider are ease of use and ease of cleaning. Most people will not use an appliance if it is not convenient to use or difficult to clean. I personally have taken the route of least expensive (what i was able to afford at the time) only to make more purchases as I slowly figured out which juicer suited my needs. The main difference aside from price would have to be what type of juicer. You want one that extracts live enzymes from fruits and vegetables.
Heat kills live Enzymes in Juice
Many people feel that the heat created by certain juicers due to friction and the mechanical nature of these juicers kills the live enzymes. These enzymes are most beneficial and for most people the main reason they want to make fresh live juice. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. They are absolutely essential to our growth and cell regeneration.
Types of Juicers
There are two basic types of machines available. One which uses a grating plate and spins the juice away from the pulp is called a centrifugal juicer. Such models as Omega brand and various others. These juicers cannot handle certain items such as Wheatgrass. And it should also be noted that centrifugal juicers may cause heat damage and destroy live enzymes. I do not recommend this type of machine nor wasting money on an inexpensive juicer.
These machines are the better choice for preserving the live enzymes and preventing the heat destruction or oxidation in juices. These machines have gears with bladed teeth or an auger that masticates the fruit/vegetable and break open the cell walls to allow the live enzymes to flow out with the juice. They are solid heavy-duty machines are can easily handle about every job. The 1st choice if money were not an issue would be GreenStar gs2000 twin gear extractor. However I am more than satisfied with the Champion 2000. This versatile juicer has interchangeable plates, one that allows juicing and that separates the pulp, the other is a solid plate that allows the juicing of items like Wheatgrass and the grinding of nuts/seeds and even frozen fruit for an easy sorbet. It is easily cleaned and the motor should handle all your juicing needs. It is also the most efficient juicer for a very moderate price. If one has an interest in Raw Foods the Champion 2000 can be used to create all sorts of gourmet raw foods. It is indispensable in my kitchen.
One other type of machine is an industrial strength blender such as Omega, Cuisinart, Vita-mix and others. These high power blenders have heavy-duty high-speed motors that can handle blending raw fruits and vegetables. They are exceedingly expensive but a standard kitchen blender’s motor will simply burn out when “juicing”. Blenders pulverize the whole fruit/vegetable and the fiber is not filtered out. The Champion 2000 can used with the solid plate to do this function easily.
Glorious Morning Recipe
- 4 or 5 large organic Carrots (soaked in filtered water overnight) enough for 8 oz.
- 1 small organic apple Enough to yield 2 – 4 oz.
- Dash of Lime juice
- Small piece of fresh Ginger ( size of a small clove of garlic)
- Touch of Honey
- Shot ( 1 oz) of Wheatgrass juice (optional)
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper powder (optional)
Very simple place to start in one’s juicing adventure. Clean and juice the carrots, apple and ginger ( a small piece peeled and washed). Set juice aside. Using a juicer capable of processing wheatgrass, juice enough to yield one oz (two or three handfuls). Add all ingredients (to taste) mix and enjoy.
Enzyme Boosting Drink
Enzymes are essential to life. They are responsible for initiating every action in the body. They also help the body break down and assimulate food. Enzymes are also used by the body for breaking down and removing old, diseased cells. For a simple everyday enzyme drink:
- 1/2 papaya
- 1/3 pineapple
- 20 – 30 papaya seeds (strong source of enzymes and papaya seeds are known to help with intestinal parasites.)
Blend together in juicer or blender. Add a little stevia, honey or xylitol for sweetness, if desired. Use organic fruit of coarse. GM pineapple has been shown to have very little bromalain. Hawaiin papaya is also gm unless labeled organic.
Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
- High Nutrition 1 oz (30 mls) of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice contains the equivalent in nutritional value to 2.2 lbs.(1 kg) of leafy green vegetables.
- Wheatgrass Builds Blood The chlorophyll molecule in wheatgrass bears a remarkable similarity to the hemoglobin molecule in human blood. What differs in these two molecules is that magnesium is the central element in chlorophyll where it is iron in hemoglobin. Some of the healthful benefits of Chlorophyll are its abilities to build red blood cells quickly and to alleviate high blood pressure through dilating the arteries and veins in the circulatory system. It can detox carbon dioxide from the system while it releases free oxygen. It aids in a higher metabolism and boosts the enzyme systems of the body. Drinking wheatgrass allows the body to use the chlorphyll in it to alkalize the body.
- Detoxifying Wheatgrass is reported to detox the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract.
- Supports Immune Function It’s high saponin content makes it an excellent aid to the lymphatic system. It cleanses the cells and tissues of many toxins.
- Complete Protein & Amino Acids It also has many live amino acids including arginine, serine, absenisic, lysine, aspartic acid, glycine, alanine, methionine, leucine, tryptophane, phenylalanine, and valine.
- Alkalizing It has Broad spectrum mineral content: 90 minerals are contained in Wheatgrass. Many of the buffers needed to alkalize the body’s pH are bioavailable in it including calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and iron.
It is easy to see why adding wheatgrass to one’s diet will have many health benefits. Being a living food it has bioavailable nutrition including live amino acids. This superfood has anti-bacterial anti-septic and alkalizing effects in the body and especially in the blood. It supplies oxygen to the cells that are oxygen starved and assists in carrying toxins out through the lymph system for elimination. It aids in building new cells and tissues and builds the immune system. It can be taken “neat” as a shot, with perhaps a small clove of garlic also juiced. It can be added to one’s favorite juice. Applied to the broken skin or lesion it aids in rapid recovery and prevents infections. It is easy to juice once one has a masticating juicer or a manual grinder. It is also available at most health food stores that have a juice bar. They may even sell grass pallets for home juicing. Powdered wheatgrass is also available online or at health food stores.